Become a Trustee
Helena Kennedy Foundation (HKF) (est. 1998) is seeking dynamic and values-driven trustees to help grow its impact and influence. The Foundation is an educational charity which provides financial bursaries to students progressing from further education to University.
We receive funding from a variety of funding sources, including Universities, Trusts, Foundations, colleges and many more. We rely completely on donations and do not receive regular funding. HKF supports around 100 bursaries per year from the 400 or so applications we receive.
HKF is a small charity where trustees are actively involved in the Charity’s operations. We are seeking trustees with expertise in any of the following areas:
FE; Higher Education/University; Charity fundraising; HR, Marketing, Communications and PR
Role: Trustee for the Helena Kennedy Foundation
• To want to help provide support to HKF students
• To give something back to students who faced challenging situations
• To be actively be involved with the charity
Who can be involved?
• Anyone interested in the work of the charity particularly with the following expertise FE, Higher Education/University, Charity / Fundraising, HR, Marketing and PR
What you will be doing:
• Helping to ensure that HKF has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction
• Taking responsibility for the performance of HKF and for its corporate behaviour
• Ensuring that HKF complies with legal, regulatory and financial requirements and that corporate governance is of the highest standard
• Acting as guardian of the assets of HKF, tangible and intangible
• Providing advocacy and fundraising on behalf of the Foundation
• Being given the opportunity to be part of the selection process for the new award winners
• Being a member of Board, sub-committee as required and appropriate
• Preparing for and participating in board meetings (4 per year) usually held in London
• Participating in the annual House of Lords student awards event
• Occasionally travelling within the UK to represent HKF and its activities with stakeholders and potential funders
• Supporting the charity with bids and promotional activities
• Initially for one term of five years which is renewable for a second term
What skills and values you will need:
• Commitment to the purpose, objectives and values of the Helena Kennedy Foundation
• Proven experience of working strategically and assimilating and analysing information quickly in order to debate complex issues at the highest level
• Experienced team worker
• Understanding of the environment in which the Foundation operates
• Proven ability in influencing and advocacy
• Understanding of, and adherence to, the Nolan principles and standard of public life.
• The opportunity to influence the policy and strategic direction of the charity
• Helping to support the lives of students who have faced considerable challenges
Training and Support:
• You will have contact with the Operations Manager who can guide you in the charity procedures
How much it will cost you:
• Absolutely nothing but your time and commitment
• Reimbursement of travel expenses is discretionary
Your main contacts will be: Chair of HKF and Operations Manager
How to apply:
Email your cv along with a cover letter outlining your interest in becoming a trustee by 5th April 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The appointment process is overseen by a panel chaired by Dr Julie Mills.