Become a Trustee
Helena Kennedy Foundation (est. 1998) is seeking a dynamic and values-driven volunteer to help grow its impact and influence. In return, you’ll have the opportunity to gain valuable and broad experience in the management of charity based in the heart of Stratford, to develop new business skills, and to receive mentoring support from senior members of staff. Helena Kennedy Foundation is (HKF) an educational charity which provides financial bursaries to students progressing to University.
We receive funding from a variety of funding sources, including Universities, Trusts, Foundations, colleges and many more. We rely completely on donations and do not receive regular funding. The charity supports around 100 bursaries per year.
This role description is designed to give you an idea of what being a Trustee for the Helena Kennedy Foundation (HKF) will involve. It briefly highlights the commitments, skills and benefits you can expect from taking up the role.
HKF is a small charity where trustees are actively involved in the Charity’s operations. We are currently seeking trustees with the following expertise in any of the following areas:
FE, Higher Education/University, Charity / Fundraising, HR, Marketing and PR
Role: Trustee for the Helena Kennedy Foundation
• To want to help provide support to HKF students
• To give something back to students who faced challenging situations
• Actively be involved with the charity
• Initially for one term of five years which is renewable for a second term
• Preparation for and full participation in board meetings (4 per year) usually held in London
• Participating in the annual House of Lords student awards event
Who can be involved?
• Anyone interested in the work of the charity
• Anyone who can provide experience that will enhance the operation of HKF
How much it will cost you:
• Absolutely nothing but your time
• Travel expenses is discretionary
Your main contacts will be: Chair of HKF and Operations Manager
What you will be doing:
• Helping to ensure that HKF has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction
• Taking responsibility for the performance of HKF and for its corporate behaviour
• Ensuring that HKF complies with legal, regulatory and financial requirements and that corporate governance is of the highest standard
• Acting as guardian of the assets of HKF, tangible and intangible
• Providing advocacy and fundraising on behalf of the Foundation
• Being given the opportunity to be part of the selection process for the new award winners
What skills and values you will need:
• Commitment to the purpose, objectives and values of the Helena Kennedy Foundation
• Proven experience of working strategically and assimilating and analysing information quickly in order to debate complex issues at the highest level
• Experienced team worker
• Understanding of the environment in which the Foundation operates
• Proven ability in influencing and advocacy
• Understanding of, and adherence to, the Nolan principles and standard of public life.
How you will do it:
• Participation in Board meetings and active involvement with the charity operations
• Being a member of Board, sub-committee as required and appropriate
• Occasionally travelling within the UK to represent HKF and its activities with stakeholders and potential funders
• The opportunity to influence the policy and strategic direction of the charity
• Helping to support the lives of students who have faced considerable challenges
Training and Support:
• You will have contact with the Operations Manager who can guide you in the charity procedures
How to apply:
Email your cv along with a cover letter outlining your interest in becoming a trustee firstname.lastname@example.org. The appointment process is overseen by a panel chaired by Dr Julie Mills.