Who can Apply
The Helena Kennedy Foundation receives more than 1500 enquiries about funding each year. This demand for financial support means that we need to apply some application guidelines:
Students can apply to the Foundation for the HKF bursary if they are:
- In the final year at a publicly-funded further education institution (e.g. in the last year of Access / A level / BTEC / Scottish Highers course at a UK FE / sixth form college) at the time of applying
- Aiming to start a first-time programme of higher education in the autumn of the year in which they are applying at a UK higher education institution (i.e. HND, BA, BSc, Bed, Foundation Degree). Students taking a ‘gap’ year will be considered.
- Experiencing barriers to continuing their education
- Able to demonstrate that they face severe financial hardship
Students cannot apply if they:
- Are already on a higher education course
- Are seeking funding for a postgraduate course
- Are studying / intending to study at a privately funded institution
- Have already received an HKF award
- Have previously undertaken a higher education course
- Are studying or intend to complete their higher education course at an international institution.
Each year the Foundation receives applications from many more students than we are able to support. You should only apply for an award if you are facing financial difficulties which will make progression to higher education difficult. HKF awards are designed to support students who have overcome significant barriers to complete their further education. To see examples of some of the issues our students face please read who we help. To read the stories of some of the students who have benefitted from an HKF Award please click to meet some of our students. If you have read this information and you have questions about whether or not you should apply for an award please contact us.